Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Oh, Joy!

My child is in "love" again with a boy that broke her heart one year ago. In her words, she "loves him and never stopped loving him." You know, you "never stop loving someone." And, she made him promise to "never hurt her," because she "always gets hurt."

I asked her what fits into the category of "hurts" and she didn't have an exact answer. I tried telling her that when you hold people to a vague expectation, they can never meet it. Any time her feelings get hurt, he'll have "hurt" her and there you go. She's conjuring up her own disappointments.

The boy? Strictly a ne'er-do-well. Not a bad kid, but no real ambition. He graduated last year. College? Uh, no. He's working in a warehouse at his dad's company. He said he is saving up to go to trade school to be a mechanic or, get this, an auto "detailist." Wow, apply stick-on pin-striping? Every parent's dream.

Good points? No driver's license. We like that. Plus, his work keeps him busy all day and sleepy at night.

This kid is wearing me out. If I point out anything that is not sunshine and flowers, she gets angry.

So, my daughter is "in love" with Mr. Wonderful (who just happened to have broken her heart previously, but he'll never hurt her or leave her again... and we know this because he "said so.")

Life is an adventure.

11 comments:

Jan Ross said...

I have some bad news for you - it's hard to get them to listen at ANY AGE. My 28 year old daughter said something the other night that was word-for-word advice I had given her about a year ago. I think she had totally forgotten I said it and thought it was her own idea!! Oh, well, it was good advice!!

The only other thing I can say is that my son-in-law went to trade school to become a BMW mechanic and he makes phenomenal money. So, there IS hope. Apparently, they are completely in demand and can write their own ticket. So, see if you can encourage him to do that!!

Dawn said...

Ugh! I so dread when my girls are old enough to date.

I know NO one will be good enough.

Girls are sooo dramatic.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

holy cats there are times it is so much easier to have PETS rather than children---but your daughter is very lucky to have such a good mom and dad!

Wep said...

Ah I had a Mr. Wonderful...eventually you live and learn..hang in there...

~ Michelle ~ said...

Oh but the experience lead the path for the journey... at least he's got the work ethic down. I have a 16 yr old boy who's had a "romance" for almost three years now with the same girl, and what a ride that's been!!

Queen-Size funny bone said...

My daughter is 23 and hooked up with a idiot. It has been years. I thought she would smarten up with age but NOOOOO! she's in love.

Unknown said...

wow I am so glad i am NOT a teen again...oh the angst
I hope he doesnt hurt her again but YAY for work and NO DL lol

Ritch in Love said...

i dread the day taylor brings home "the love of her life."

Amy Amy Bo Bamey said...

I wanted to stop by and remind you that the deadline to ship the Secret Santa Gift is December 10th. Please send Georgie or I a email amydoo @ sbcglobal . net and give us the Delivery Confirmation Number. Gifts are being received as we speak so you can check out the posts on our blogs to see the latest. If you have received a SSS gift please leave either of us a comment and just write received in it somewhere.

Betty said...

I can feel what you are going through. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do, except pray. Which feels little enough, if you´re like me.
Hopefully her eyes will be opened and he does not break her heart!

Aunt Julie said...

When College Girl was a senior, we had a bit of this goin' on. I found out that if I accepted him and even invited him to dinner once in a while, CG didn't feel threatened and didn't act up. She figured out Mr. Wonderful was a Loser (with a Capital L) herself. Good luck!

 
template by suckmylolly.com