Thursday, December 11, 2008

Get A Fork

I'm done. Today my child informed me she was "too tired" to go to school.

Jerry and I are scheduled for a parent/teacher meeting today after school to address getting her back on track, which is where she is SUPPOSED to be.

I had to contact her counselor this morning and tell her that Nicole chose to skip school and we cannot make her go. Doesn't this look good?

So, we told her EARLY this morning that she had to get up and go to first period. If she couldn't make it to first period, she was not going to school at all - no waiting till halfway through the school day and amazingly feel better, hoping this will allow her to have driving privileges. If she didn't get to school by first period, no going anywhere, no one coming over, no driving. She just mumbled, "Okay," and rolled over.

We are seriously considering wilderness camp. Friends, we are both at our wits' ends. I'm exhausted and lost.

Hope the teachers, counselor, or principal can give us some productive guidance.

8 comments:

~ Michelle ~ said...

Hmm, the life O'Riley... I have a sixteen year old boy who has entitlement issues and the lazy-ism's. What a ride. I will send a prayer in your direction as I know these major hopeless feelings of frustration. I no longer co his behaviors, give him no room to drag on conversation via his brilliant plans or excuses and corporal his butt to school and when he gets rude with me, he gets to quiet down and start all over being in my presence via my verbal dominism

Nichole said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog yesterday and for leaving a comment while you were there :o)

Unknown said...

2 thoughts.

Mono or Depression?

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I did this when I was a junior in high school too. I was NO ANGEL and it took quite a few years to settle down. Later on I became a teacher of troubled high school students and although the details vary, there are a lot of hurting kids out there losing their way.
If I am joking, I say find a convent for her with a lock on the door. If I am serious, I suggest a psycholgist or psychiatrist and family counseling. You are doing everything right, both of you parents, and there is a good and wonderful girl inside her. Depression, anxiety and apathy hit teens quite hard. I am no doctor and can't prescibe something of course, but considering her background that you have hinted at, plus the average awfulness of being a teen, may mean that a physical checkup to rule out illness, followed by psychiatric eval and then maybe therapy and a prescription and a structured plan with goals and consequences.
::wee little hugs of support:::

Linda said...

I'm so sorry. I know just what you're going through, I've been there and am still going through things occassionally with my older one.

We, like you and your hubby, are doing all the right things...they're just choosing to make bad decisions. Unfortunately, their decisions affect the whole family.

I truly know how depressing and upsetting these times can be. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Wep said...

You'd be suprised this is a common issue. When I taught junior high we had at least 7 (all girls) who refused to go to school. The only thing that sometimes worked was sending the truancy police to their house. But mostly that was for the parents who don't care. There's gotta be a reason she's doing this, hopefully the counselor will have some insight.

Melissa B. said...

Lynda: I'm so sorry that you're at your wit's end! I do agree with Lizzy...you should explore both the physical and emotional sides of this.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I wish you well in figuring all of this out. I can't imagine how difficult it is!

 
template by suckmylolly.com