Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Thrown Off

Holidays seem to throw off my blogging schedule...it feels like Monday, but it's not! Now my whole week will be out of order.

Taking my kiddo to the dermatologist today. Bless her heart, she's had this rash on her FACE for the longest time and she's 17. You can imagine how awful it is at that age. We have already been to two GPs - it looks like impetigo - she's been on a host of antibiotics, used every kind of creme they suggested, and it persists! I sure hope this guy can help her.

Did I mention she passed all of her state-mandated tests? This is a BIG DEAL for her. Since she went into foster care in first grade, she has never, ever passed the math test. We got her in 8th grade. She came so close to passing that math test each year, but just didn't. In Texas, juniors MUST pass them all to graduate the following year. She did. We're very proud of her.

Math has been such a struggle. She was moved around so much when in foster care that she never finished in the same school she started, so she had huge gaps in her math. We took her Sylvan Learning Center her freshman year of high school (not cheap, let me tell you!) and they got all her blanks filled in and THAT was worth the money.

Okay... complete update from our house: the dryer broke this weekend. So, we bought a new washer and dryer. It'll be about a week before delivered. Do you know what that means?? It means we have to go to the laundromat to dry clothes until it arrives.

I took Nicole there last night to dry all her clothes and the girl has a LOT of clothes. It's been a long, long time since I went to the laundromat (or as they are called here, washaterias)... not big fun.

Well, that's my weekend update :)

Oh, and I still have "I Sing the Body Electric" stuck in my head!

9 comments:

Ronnica said...

We didn't have a washer/dryer for a few months this past fall, and I must admit I enjoyed it alright. There's just something about a laundromat...the warmth, the people-watching, the quick-drying.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

A rash! Poor girl! But great work on the tests, math is hard indeed.
We have a washer but no dryer, using wooden racks. But we are just 2 folks with a hot kiln and it works well. I remember the bad old days when I lived in Chicago and everybody smoked, including in the laundermats, and you came home with clean clothes stinking of cigarettes!

dimpledview said...

I don't know what you are talking about, some of the most interesting people in the world hang out at the washaterias. By the way you have to pronounce this work war-sha-teria if you are from Texas.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

my daughter has a fit over a little zit.

Betty said...

I´m so glad for Nicole! Congrats on passing the exams!
Hopefully this new doc will find the right treatment for her skin too.
Happy Tuesday!

Debbie Y. said...

Congrats to the kiddo for passing all her exams.

I hate the washateria. I will bum using other family members washers and dryers before going to the laundromat.

Aunt Julie said...

Oh, the dreaded state tests! Congrats to the gal for passing them...must be a relief to all of you. When you said the dryer conked out, I thought you were gonna be in the backyard hanging Nicole's clothes out on the line!

MissKris said...

You have to wait a week for them to be delivered?! Good grief! I love my same-day delivery appliance store here in Portland. I went the laundromat route for the first couple of years we were married. No. Thank. You.

g-man said...

Congratulations to Nicole!!! Way to go girl.

Bummer on the dryer, we need a new one because ours just doesn't dry all that well. I can remember the last time I was in a laundromat. We went there after camping for a week. Not fun indeed. I hope that you don't have too many more loads to do.

 
template by suckmylolly.com