Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Rash That Isn't A Rash

Nope, not a rash at all. My child has ringworm! Ugh...

for some reason, that just sounds "dirty" to me. I guess it's just a childhood thought that won't go away.

The doctor was good enough to explain it isn't a worm (you should've seen Nicole's face - a worm??)...

Ringworm is not caused by a worm. It is caused by a fungus. The kinds of fungi that cause ringworm live and spread on the top layer of the skin and on the hair. They grow best in warm, moist areas, such as locker rooms and swimming pools, and in skin folds.
Ringworm is contagious. It spreads when you have skin-to-skin contact with a person or animal that has it. It can also spread when you share things like towels, clothing, or sports gear.

You can also get ringworm by touching an infected dog or cat, although this form of ringworm is not common.
Hmmm... so let's see... she's 17.
Could she be in a locker room? yes!
Swimming pool? yes!
Skin folds? Mom doesn't want to know.
Skin-to-skin contact? Mom still doesn't want to know.
Share towels? Not aware of this.
Share clothes? She's a teenager... they ALL share clothes!
Sports gear? Volleyball? maybe.
Our dogs? NO!
Does my child pick up every stray animal she finds? Yep!
So, what caused it? We don't know, but we have the cure.
Amen and God Bless dermatologists!

4 comments:

g-man said...

Glad you have the cure. I'm sure she will continue to call it a rash :)

Gary's third pottery blog said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From the pictures I can see your daughter has perfect skin, this must have been quite horrible for her.
::shiver::
Maybe, um, time for her to chuck the boyfriend with the cooties, I mean ringworm....

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Oh one of my girls had ringworm in grade school and I drove myself crazy trying to figure out where or who.

LaurieJ said...

My little girl had this once and my husband blamed it on too many trips to Wal-Mart. He's probably right ;-)

 
template by suckmylolly.com