Saturday, July 26, 2008

First Lines Answered

And the answers are as follows:

1. When he was thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

I read this in high school and found it to be irresistible - even though I had already seen the movie and it may be one of the most perfect movies ever made.

2. Marley was dead, to begin with.
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

If I had to choose one of the best books ever written, I would choose this one. It sneaks up on you. If you think about it, it encompasses all of life - we have the power, we make our own choices, we are part of the interconnected web of life and all our movements and choices effect everything else.

3. I used to have a cat, an old fighting tom, who would jump through the open window by my bed in the middle of the night and land on my chest.
Pilgrim At Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard

And she won the Pulitzer for this work. Deserved! If you haven't read it, take the time to enjoy this treasure.

4. "Holy One, I wonder if any man born into the world was blessed with every virtue by your Father in heaven."
Ramayana retold by William Buck

The epic tale of India - it is as rich and complex as all of India. I love Hanuman, the Son of Air, a provider of courage,hope, knowledge, intellect and devotion.

5. Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

How could I not fall under the spell of Harry and all the other Wizards? I have been around this sun almost 50 times and enjoyed this series as much as any reader who has taken his 10th trip. The final book was worth the wait.

6. Anyone who watches even the slightest amount of TV is familiar with the scene: An agent knocks on the door of some seemingly ordinary home or office.
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

This author has the ability to have me spewing beverages or choking with laughter over and over again. Oh man, I love that!

7. Millions upon millions of years ago, when the continents were already formed and the principal features of the earth had been decided, there existed, then as now, one aspect of the world that dwarfed all others.
Hawaii by James Michener

I am tickled at how many people thought they knew this book, but couldn't quite get it. A couple of people swore this was a Carl Sagan work - I guess the "millions upon millions" did it. My theory is your first Michener novel is always your favorite Michener novel. Hawaii was my first and I am so glad it was.

8. When Augustus came out on the porch the blue pigs were eating a rattlesnake-not a very big one.
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Another book/movie combo that was just about perfect. I am not one to choose a western as my first choice to read. I have to thank my mom for pretty much making me read this one - thanks, Mom!

9. Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

Miss Miller in 2nd grade read this to the class and my love of reading was cinched for all eternity. That was "some pig!"

10. For months the great pleasure excursion to Europe and the Holy Land was chatted about in the newspapers everywhere in America and discussed at countless firesides.
The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain

Oh yes, wit, wisdom, and sarcasm. Mark Twain is informative and a first rate smart ass - what a fun read!

11. The seller of lightning rods arrived just ahead of the storm.
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

Dark and spooky and loaded with adventure - just what a young reader loves - I am glad I read this at a young age.

If you choose to do this, too, please let me know - I would love to see your choices!

3 comments:

Ronnica said...

I should have known the Charlotte's Web one and maybe the Christmas Carol one as I've read those. I'll let you know when I do this. =)

Aunt Julie said...

Yay! I was right--at least on the ones I guessed! I should have known Lonesome Dove, too--I loved that book! Thanks for Sharing the Comment Love in our efforts to get Uncle Lynn on Oprah. FYI, Aunt Julie and I figured out another way to contact Oprah--please drop on by and find out!

Melissa B. said...

TKAM is my favorite book ever! Actually, I've read quite a few of the fabulous books on your list. Thanks for sharing! BTW, it's that time of week again--please drop on in for a little Silly Summer Sunday Sweepstakes. You have 2 chances to play!

 
template by suckmylolly.com