Friday, July 25, 2008

The First Line


I saw this meme somewhere, sometime, and I can't remember when or where, or even if it's exactly the same as this, but... list the first line to 10 of your favorite books. Already I am varying and listing 11. Can you tell from which books come the following lines? If so, let me know!

1. When he was thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.

2. Marley was dead, to begin with.

3. I used to have a cat, an old fighting tom, who would jump through the open window by my bed in the middle of the night and land on my chest.

4. "Holy One, I wonder if any man born into the world was blessed with every virtue by your Father in heaven."

5. Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

6. Anyone who watches even the slightest amount of TV is familiar with the scene: An agent knocks on the door of some seemingly ordinary home or office.

7. Millions upon millions of years ago, when the continents were already formed and the principal features of the earth had been decided, there existed, then as now, one aspect of the world that dwarfed all others.

8. When Augustus came out on the porch the blue pigs were eating a rattlesnake-not a very big one.

9. Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.

10. For months the great pleasure excursion to Europe and the Holy Land was chatted about in the newspapers everywhere in America and discussed at countless firesides.

11. The seller of lightning rods arrived just ahead of the storm.


There are so many more books that I love that I am wanting to pull others out and put more in, so I'll just stop and stick with these. I'm looking forward to your list as well.

10 comments:

Ronnica said...

Fun! I'll be doing this, and having it post on Tuesday. I let you know when I do.

I don't recognize any of these, but I might know a couple of the books. I'd be curious to see what they are!

Ronnica said...

Wait a minute...Jem...To Kill a Mockingbird! I knew I should know the first one, but it just came to me!

Lynda said...

Correct with number 1!

Aunt Julie said...

Well, I know that #1 must be To Kill a Mockingbird, and #9 must be Charlotte's Web. I love those books! I've have to think on the others some more; I know there's at least one Harry Potter in there, but don't know which one. Hey, thanks for the support in our campaign to get Oprah to notice Pop'rs--did you e-mail her? :)

gary rith said...

1. To Kill a Mockingbird
2. Marley and Me
5. one of the Harry Potter books
9. Charlotte's Web

:^)

Lynda said...

Gary,

You have #1 and #9...and almost #5 :-)

Wep said...

That is a really cool post! I'll have to try that sometime.

Mine would have to be

It's an important and popular fact that things are not always what they seem.

Unknown said...

Great meme, I'm going to have to think on this one a while!

Unknown said...

Okay - I'm going to give it a try. You already told us #1 and #9.
I think #5 is Harry Potter and the SS, #3 is Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, #8 is Lonesome Dove, #10 is Innocents Abroad (I just finished reading this one!) and last one is a Ray Bradbury, but I don't remember which one.

Aunt Julie said...

Thanks so much for Sharing the Comment Love; are ya gonna contact Oprah, too? Uncle Lynn would appreciate it ever so much. We've got our fingers crossed...

 
template by suckmylolly.com