Thursday, July 10, 2008

Changing Lanes

Have you noticed how lately people just change lanes whenever they want? I have been noticing how people turn on the blinker and start heading their vehicle into my lane and assume I am going to let them in. And, they get ANGRY if I don’t. Sorry, bud, but I have been waiting in this lane a LONG time and I just don’t want to drive my little VW Bug behind your Chevy Crew Cab Diesel right now.

Traffic rants are passé, I know, but bad manners are getting my goat lately. I heard Barry McGuire once say, “If something gets your goat, you’ve got a goat to get.” Wise words from Mr. “Eve Of Destruction” don’t you think? I guess I have a goat.

Speaking of which…Barry turned Christian many, many years ago and was one of the front-runners of “Jesus Music” more commonly known as Contemporary Christian Music today. So, what has happened to the pioneers of that new sound?

Here are some I remember quite fondly:

Dogwood
Reba Rambo
Larry Norman (deceased)
Keith Green
Pat Terry Group
John Michael Talbot
2nd Chapter of Acts
Evie
DeGarmo & Key
The Archers
Dallas Holm
Andrae Crouch
Phil Keaggy
Chuck Girard

These are just few, but never do I hear their music on my local Christian station, which, by the way, is very large and award-winning. I do remember when this station played these artists. I wonder why Christian stations no longer play “older” music. A little retro is a good thing. Think about the oldies stations in your area – aren’t they thriving? Or have some of the overly zealous religious (and I mean RELIGIOUS types) found some dirt on these people? If that’s so, I think I would be royally pissed.

Now, I know there are a lot of strict, fundamental activist types out here in blog-land and I welcome that, however, I think it is this sector of religion that does so much more detriment to their own cause than anyone else.

So, why not stay in your lane until we wave you into ours…don’t drive your agenda into my lane until I slow down and let you pass me up.

And all you Christian radio stations out there… throw us bone with some of our older tunes. I sure would like to hear Dogwood or Pat Terry on my radio once in a while.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to stop by and say hello and to let you know that the link over at my place is working now (grin).....it is wonderful to meet another blogger who is close to me in age...I am 53 (grin). Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting!!!!

Gen said...

I enjoy hearing the older stuff too. It takes me back to my young, brand new on fire Christian days when I hear it. I used to be a teeny tiny bit judgemental in those days too. (teeny tiny = lots) I've realized, in my old age, that eventually something comes along and humbles us. Best not to be judging others because as the bible says we'll be judged by the same measure. Good post!

Ronnica said...

I've only heard of Keith Green of all the people you mentioned. But I'm not really into Christian music, past or present.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness I would love to hear some old stuff... I think there was a group called Silverwind that I use to love... And Leslie Phillips (she was a little later)...

My Assistant said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Retro is definitely a good thing!

MissKris said...

Thank you so much for coming by and leaving such nice comments! I'm a stay-at-home Grandma so I don't have to deal with commutes any more, thank goodness. I spent 7 years doing crosstown traffic to a school I worked at on Portland's west side. A couple years of it was spent while the road crews were doing major repair on the bridge I normally crossed. It could take me up to 1 1/2 hours to get to my school 10 miles away! Arggghhh! And talk about rude, crude drivers!!! I love the photos you have posted here on your blog. Your daughter is absolutely lovely! I will be back...hope you'll come back too!

~*Paty*~ said...

Don't even get me started on rude drivers! Thanks for stopping by and grabbing a button.

Mean Mom said...

In the UK, we are given plenty of warning when, one lane is closed ahead (maybe because of road works, for example). The drivers who really annoy me, are the ones who wait until the lane is blocked off, before expecting to push in front of me, immediately. It's so selfish. The rest of us have moved over in plenty of time and been forced to travel slowly, whilst the selfish drivers have sped past in the lane, which has now closed. I have been known to ignore them.

 
template by suckmylolly.com