Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Even When She's Driving Me Crazy

I still love my teenager. Oh, and God knows that's hard to say some days.

So, after a day filled with bloggy love courtesy of the SITS gals, I thought I'd share some momma love. As you may know, Jerry and I adopted Nicole on her 14th birthday. She was in foster care for about 7 years. Her life has been a hard one and she's endured things some of us can't even imagine.


Adjustment has gone very well for our girl. Don't get me wrong. There are still issues. Lots of issues, but because the transition has gone so wonderfully, we find ourselves forgetting to remember her background and filtering her responses to things through that light. We eventually lose amnesia.


So, indulge me as I share some photos of my kiddo:



Friday night football in Texas...a tradition embraced by our girl and a friend

Nicole loves her friends - they are like air and water to her - I love how much she values them
(l-r: Sam, Courtney, Nicole)


There is this "face" that Nicole wants to make in every photo...it's hard to get one where she isn't doing this. Oh, and she'd probably kill me if she knew I was posting her photo in her glasses - I think they're cute.

Oops! It's me trying to make that face, but I don't quite have it down.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

She is a beauty! I was completely LOL at you tryin to 'make the face' I cant make the face either

Gary's third pottery blog said...

OH LYNDA I love that picture of you! And you say your daughter is adopted, but my goodness she looks like you and your husband.

Wep said...

So sweet! My sister adopted my nephews and adopting a school age child is NOT easy by any stretch of the imagination. Oddly how the come with very little stuff but LOTS of baggage. Yay for you and yours for saving one of the lost.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by today!

I perused your profile and saw one of your favorite books is To Kill a Mockingbird.

I just read it this year - can you believe I never read it in high school?

Anonymous said...

Your daughter is very pretty! Oh, and I would KILL YOU if you posted a pic of me in my glasses. ;) Don't worry, I can't make a cool peace sign in pictures either.

Linda said...

What a crack up! I've got albums full of my daughter making the same face!

You've got the look down...but your fingers need to point horizontally...you know, gangsta style!

Queen-Size funny bone said...

With love and understanding everything and anything is possible. she is a beauty.

Ronnica said...

Haha to your picture...

Aunt Julie said...

Lynda: I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You're an amazing woman! And I REALLY love the pic of you trying to be your gal. My gals have a "face," too. Something about raising the eyebrows and showing off all those orthodontured (sp?) teeth!

Ritch in Love said...

I am super bummed that I missed the blogathon yesterday! Thanks for making me feel super cool! (Your daughter is darling! You must be a very cool mom!)

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

We parents just can't make the cool faces can we?!
Thanks for stopping by on my BATW today.

Jennie said...

she is too cute.. love the glasses... she may not know how cute they are now, but she will... I have a 7 year old girl who thinks she is a teenager, does that count?

S Club Mama said...

Your daughter is beautiful (and I think her glasses are cute too - pretty color). I can't imagine how hard it must be to raise a teenager but one with such a background. I know adoption isn't easy by any means so bless your lil heart for opening your heart and home to this sweetie pie.

And thank you for stopping by my blog yesterday. It always means so much to have nice people stop by and say hello. Do come back soon.

Briana said...

I love stories like this where someone was adopted older and is now (seems to be) happy. Love the photos!

Kerrie said...

It never ceases to amaze me how much she looks like a combination of you and Jerry. I remember the very first photo you sent me of her at age 10 or 11 and how she had that "something" about her. Some families were just meant to be.

You are all truly blessed to have found each other.

Claremont First Ward said...

I really loved this post.

I'm so glad you stopped by on your SITS whirlwind tour.

Anonymous said...

Lynda~Hahah I can relate to this one.LOLI have 2 daughters but the are in their early 20s.You can catch them on an old blog post of mine.But yeah I can relate, hmmm..those were the days :)

 
template by suckmylolly.com