Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Death and Life

My great aunt, Edith, passed away last week and her funeral was this past Sunday in Austin, Texas. Edith was the 12th of 12 kids - my grandfather's baby sister. All of the 12 were born and raised on Grand Cayman Island. All but two immigrated to the US and started new lives here.

Edith was an amazingly loving woman. You can imagine how many nephews and nieces there were amongst all the siblings... and all of them have had families. It's a big clan. Edith, however, had the knack of making each and every niece or nephew feel like they were the only one, the most special, the favored one. She was wild and crazy and fun!

So, her time here came to an end and created a wonderful reunion for the rest of us. For some reason, there was a lot of reconnecting going on - renewing of bonds, creating of bonds, and just a sense of togetherness.

She'll be missed, but will remain in our stories to the younger cousins.

I'm glad I got the family I have. It's truly a blessing :)

5 comments:

g-man said...

That was a very nice remembrance. She sounds like a nice woman.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

My mother always said that it was weddings and funerals that get family together.

Betty W said...

I think she would have been happy that you spent her funeral reconnecting with your relatives. That is the best way to remember her by.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Oh goodness, what a person and what a family!

bathmate said...

I liked it.
Bathmate

 
template by suckmylolly.com